Friday 1 April 2011

Victimisation - and another field in the table

I just had a look over at Rowan's blog; The Portfolio Investor. He briefly covered modern society and how people look outwards for solutions rather than inwards. Now, there is of course no problem in looking outwards as long as you're looking for solutions rather than looking for others to blame. Looking inwards can help identify characteristics about oneself that are hindering progress, be it on a personal or professional level. After going through hypnosis I identified several areas where I needed to improve, and I've been working on them subconsciously on a daily basis.

Whilst living abroad one of the biggest cultural difference I saw was victimisation. Briefly, that means that when things go wrong it's not our fault and when things go right it was down to ME. Very ugly I think, but it seems that it's happenening more and more in the UK too. As Rowan mentioned, at school if we broke our leg when we were younger we would just get on with it, part of life. Now, we're all victims, so broken leg means parents have to go out of their way to take child to hospital losing out valuable cash and time from work therefore school needs to compensate. This is absolutely f*********g pathetic, really is. Short-term thinking and short-term gains are making British culture ugly.

It's easy to understand why us British think long-term; we have winters, our farming ancestors had to think ahead making sure there was enough harvested from the fields to provide during winter months. Not any more though, most of us are city dwellers in the rate race, long-term thinking is practically non-existent. So, why all this ranting? Simple, long-term thinking is much more beneficial. It reduces any daily ups and downs and can also help you prepare mini-targets that can help with motivation in the short-term. I much prefer reaching long-term goals than short-term ones as so much more went into them. Anyway, whatever your thoughts and opinions remember that gambling is all about value. And value won't always show its true colours in the short-term, but will very likely show them over the long-term.

Onto today's results:



Tipster: Todays P/L: Stakes: ROI: POINTS Total:
4PA 0.00 0.00 N/A 100.58
BLB 0.00 0.00 N/A -0.81
BLIP 0.00 0.00 N/A 4.42
CL 0.00 0.00 N/A 41.79
CNB 0.00 0.00 N/A 1.37
EI 0.00 0.00 N/A 63.52
FB -1.75 7.00 -25% 16.13
FE 0.00 0.00 N/A 21.57
FI 0.00 0.00 N/A 30.57
GVE 0.00 0.00 N/A 7.34
LB 0.00 0.00 N/A 2.02
MGB -1.00 1.00 -100% 23.26
NMP 2.48 0.75 330% -0.50
PB -1.00 1.00 -100% 23.08
SK 0.00 0.00 N/A 78.81
SKS 0.00 0.00 N/A -1.06
STR 19.50 9.00 217% 21.00
WRT -0.80 0.80 -100% 10.52
AB -0.50 0.50 -100% -1.18
MB 0.00 0.00 N/A -8.99
TRAM 0.00 0.00 N/A -15.14
TRAS 0.00 0.00 N/A -1.61
WIFLI 0.00 0.00 N/A -1.50
Today: 16.93 20.05 17.38%
Active Tipsters Total: 415.18
All Tipsters Total: 7981.56 4.27% 293.33
Financial Totals: This month: -£111.25 Unsettled: £4,635.00
This year: £1,984.66 All-time: £19,913.59


Strikeline prevented any big losses today when Amelia's Surprise came in at 7.0 in the last race of the day at Wolverhampton. It was one of those weird days when I only focussed on what had won, therefore I assumed that I was going to be in a nice profit. However, after conferring the results and seeing loss after loss it slowly dawned on me that we were going to be seeing a substantial loss, until the late winner.. phewww.

I missed out on 6 PTS profit from Northern Monkey Punter last month, just goes to show there's always room for improved discipline. Never leave something for the next day, especially when backing bets, otherwise you're very likely to lose a lot of value or if there's no value left then a potential winner.

I have added another field to the table; Unsettled. This is any bets that have been placed but not yet settled. Could be ante-post from months ago or bets placed today to be settled tomorrow. That's a lot of money for the bookies to earn interest on.

Until tomorrow

3 comments:

  1. It's infectious, this ranting lark, eh? (lol!). Does nothing for my blood pressure though.

    I'm fascinated by the hypnotherapy you had. You obviously got a lot out of it. Do you mind me asking how you found someone you trusted? And also, did you start to see the benefits fairly quickly, or is it one of those things that just slowly seeps into affecting how you go about things without you really realising?

    Here's hoping for a decent weekend (especially after today's inauspicious start to the month!).

    Rowan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rowan,

    Not an easy task finding a hypnotherapist, you would think. I simply ran a search on Google for hypnotherapists in the area where I live and up popped a few names. I went to a few free sessions and carried on with the one that I felt most comfortable with.

    Hypnotherapists also work like psychiatrists, in that they let you do a lot of the talking. However, I was put in a sort of trance every session so the hypnotherapist could talk to my subconscious. What she would say would depend on what cracks she had identified in me and what my objectives were. She would never point out my negatives, instead focus only on what I needed to do going forward, the positives.

    I would say it worked to a certain extent, not completely though. When services are having a bad run I tend to leave their bets til last which went against me big time last month with Northern Monkey Punter, I missed out on 6 PTS profit just because I wasn't motivated into placing their bets, and it came back and bit me hard. So the answer going forward; treat all services equally and never let past performance affect current attitudes/feelings.

    As for the real benefits, they didn't appear overnight. However, where I did see an immediate improvement was in my daily motivation. This extra motivation then helped me iron out deep-rooted issues on a daily basis. You can't overcome personal issues if you don't work at them daily, would simply take too long. I still think I'm working at my issues, but at a subconscious level now.

    Any more questions just give me a shout.

    Kodagira

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kodagira. That's a useful insight.

    Rowan

    ReplyDelete